The Caleb Sawyer house is one of the oldest homes in Green Oak Township, located on M-36 highway in the SW corner of the township. Following completion of the Erie Canal the Michigan territory saw an influx of homesteaders, like Caleb Sawyer, from New York State. Sawyer was a stone mason and purchased his property in 1834. The house is built of cobblestones collected by the early pioneers from river beds and fields cleared for farming. The original walls were 18 inches thick with plaster reinforced with horsehair. In 1843 Sawyer served on a County Grand Jury recommending the need for fireproof public buildings. His daughter and son-in-law (the Butlers) continued living in the house until 1896.