Disabled Veteran Exemption
Disabled Veterans Exemption
Qualifying disabled veterans are eligible for an exemption from paying real property taxes on their principal residence.
If you need benefits or have questions on eligibility for the disabled veteran exemption, please contact Green Oak Township Assessor’s office by email to email@example.com or by calling 810-231-1333 Ext 5.
Disabled Veterans Quick Links
Form 5107 Disabled Veterans
Veterans Exemption Frequently Asked Questions
Disabled Veterans Exemption General Information
Livingston County Veterans Affairs at https://www.livgov.com/veterans can also help with any additional benefit questions.
2300 E Grand River Ave., Suite 109
Howell, MI 48843
Map to our location
- Must have been honorably discharged from the armed forces of the United States
- Must be a Michigan resident
- Must meet one of the following criteria:
- Determined by the United States Veteran's Affairs (VA) to be permanently and totally disabled as a result of military service and entitled to veterans' benefits at the 100% rate
- Has a certificate from the VA, or its successors, certifying that he or she is receiving or has received pecuniary assistance due to disability for specially adapted housing
- Has been rated by the VA as individually unemployable
- Must have some form of documentation from the VA
- The unremarried surviving spouse of the disabled veteran is eligible for the exemption based upon the eligibility of their spouse
- Submit the Form 5017 State Tax Commission Affidavit for Disabled Veterans Exemptionto the Green Oak Township assessor, along with supporting documents from the VA
- The exemption must be filed annually before adjournment of the final Board of Review for the current year only. Final Board of Review is adjourned at the December Board of Review session.
- The exemption can be granted at the March, July, or December Boards of Review, for the current year only.
The Michigan Department of Treasury has further information on the exemption, including FAQs, and full text of the law.